Are quail really that stupid?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ticks, Dec 30, 2008.

1. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    I was just talking to another or former BYC member about quail that I am soon getting. The person said that if the cage is too tall they will jump and hit their heads. My question is, I know they are birds but, are they really that stupid? I am pretty sure that if something hurts they wont do it again. Is this true? Are they dumb birds?

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    The speckleds I had were. [​IMG] Not sure about all but it cured me of ever wanting any more to find out.

3. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Yes... buttons and coturnix will fly up and hit their heads on the cage. Buttons will do it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over until their heads are bloody pulps.
    Need high cages, or pad the top with bubblewrap or foam. [​IMG]

4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Buttons and Coturnix normally just do it when scared by something, however Buttons make sure to do it extra special and exaggerate the problem a bit........

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    [​IMG]

But I'm right, aren't I?!? Silly birds...

7. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Yes... buttons and coturnix will fly up and hit their heads on the cage. Buttons will do it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over until their heads are bloody pulps.
    Need high cages, or pad the top with bubblewrap or foam. [​IMG]

Man, that seems like a lot more work for me [​IMG]

so the answer is quail are dumb?​

8. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:Man, that seems like a lot more work for me [​IMG]

so the answer is quail are dumb?

I'd say buttons are...

coturnix, well if you think chickens are dumb then i'd say coturnix are too [​IMG]

Ak...I agree with you completely lol!

9. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    The Buttons do it more than the coturnix. But once you pad their cell...er, cage, you're ok. And after a while the Buttons become accustomed to seeing you, and they don't do it as much. The coturnix will only do it if startled. I accidentally "snuck up" on my coturnix, and scared one so bad she broke her neck on the roof... [​IMG] After that, I always made sure to start talking to them, and come at them from the front of the cage where they could see me. Never had that problem again.

10. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

The Buttons do it more than the coturnix. But once you pad their cell...er, cage, you're ok. And after a while the Buttons become accustomed to seeing you, and they don't do it as much. The coturnix will only do it if startled. I accidentally "snuck up" on my coturnix, and scared one so bad she broke her neck on the roof... [​IMG] After that, I always made sure to start talking to them, and come at them from the front of the cage where they could see me. Never had that problem again.

I lost a golden that way while cleaning the brooder a few weeks ago [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by