Are raw split peas/barley ok to feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hennotrooster, Jan 29, 2013.

1. hennotrooster

hennotrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    Hesperia CA
    I am a bit confused as I have read that giving raw rice can kill a chicken because it will swell up. Would this be the same for all other foods that absorb liquid? I have some barley and split peas that I would like to give my girls but am thinking they must be cooked first.

2. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Raw rice is fine for chickens as are split peas & barley. None of that needs to be cooked.

1 person likes this.
  3. hennotrooster

Sep 16, 2012
    Hesperia CA
    Thank you and my hens thank you.

4. HooDoo Mtn Farm

HooDoo Mtn Farm Out Of The Brooder

To maske it more digestable - and to stretch your feed $ - why not soak them this AM, to feed tomorrow AM?
    Take it one step further & sprout the barley (see my other posts) . . .
    R

5. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    They can be fed unprocessed, but I'd limit the amounts that you give them. Barley isn't very digestible by chickens and can cause wet droppings. Peas have some digestibility issues too and shouldn't be their sole source of protein. Just use them as an extender to a regular ration and limit the amounts to less than 20% of their ration.

6. hennotrooster

Sep 16, 2012
    Hesperia CA
    I had a small bag of split peas and one of barley. Now that you mention the wet droppings it seems that the days I have given them a good hand full in the middle of the day their droppings are wet, I will soak some and let them sprout up before giving it to them again thank yo for the tip. I did not intend to make it a good portion of their diet just wanted to use what I had and thought they may like it. If I was to cook the barley for them would that be better or should it be avoided?

7. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    I don't think cooking will help. Chickens lack a specific enzyme to break down certain components of barley. In commercial rations barley would be supplemented with specific enzymes to improve its digestibility.

8. hennotrooster

Sep 16, 2012
    Hesperia CA
    Well looks like barely is out of the equation they eat enough as it is. What is your take on fish?

9. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Barley is fine in moderation, just mix it into a regular ration in moderation.

Fish will increase the omega-3 levels of eggs, but you may get some off flavors and smells if fed in large amounts.

1 person likes this.
  10. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA

I know that soaking or sprouting grains and legumes activates a lot of enzymes, but I haven't yet found out if the necessary enzyme is activated in order to better digest barley and peas. Anyone have an idea? I'll update this post if I find the answer first.

UPDATE: this article suggests some benefit from using a multi-enzyme supplement with feeding high levels of peas, but this is not something I want to do.
    http://books.google.com/books?id=b7...EwAw#v=onepage&q=enzyme peas chickens&f=false

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by