1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Are Red Eyelids a Sign of Some Disease?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RhodeIslandRedFan, Jul 8, 2010.

1. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Songster

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Hello, all. I noticed today that my son's 10 week old EE (rooster??) Marty has red areas around both eyes. My son tells me he has noticed the redness for about the past week. Marty has no other symptoms. It's been hot here - high 90's to 103 degrees during the past week, but aside from panting during the hottest part of the day, we notice nothing else unusual. He is eating, drinking, and pooping normally. We have 4 other chickens - 3 RIRs about 1 year old and another EE the same age as Marty. All others are fine. Should we be concerned about the red eyelids?

Marty
    [​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I don't think you need to worry. Could be the heat, but more likely he is just feeling his hormones.

Imp

3. RhodeIslandRedFan

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Thank you for your suggestion, Imp!. Both eye areas look very red and very scary. We're new to chickens and this is our first roo - I wouldn't have even suspected this [​IMG]

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

If there are any other symptoms please repost.

Imp

5. RhodeIslandRedFan

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    We've noticed no other symptoms, either in Marty or any of my hens. The redness has gotten no better, but no worse either. Checked him over for bugs but have not seen any. For now we're keeping a close eye on this. Has anyone else ever seen anything like this?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by