Are red mites harmful to chickens?

There are a zillion types of mites, and only a very few affect chickens. Don't bother attacking every 'bug' out there, concentrate on the few who live on the chickens, or the mites who live in the coop and infect the birds at night.
Go out there at night when they are roosting, and look at the birds with a flashlight, around their vents, under wings, and necks and backs, at skin level. Treat them if even one bird has a few!
Mary

Permethrin spray concentrate from the feed store is least expensive and easiest, ot the permethrin dusting powder, also from the feed store. You need a N95 dust mask, or respirator, long sleeves, and gloves to be safest. Actually the lung protection is most important when doing anything out there that raises dust and dander.
It might be years before your birds get mites or lice, or it could be next week. just check at least a few of them every week or two, and treat if needed.
Mary

I agree with Mary. First I would check the birds. I use a headlamp so I have my hands free and after the birds have gone to roost and check them over. If you have a TSC you can get permethrin poultry dust, the premixed spray or the concentrate. Also over the counter lice shampoo for people to treat head lice contains either pyrethrins (Rid or Triple X) or permethrin (Nix). Both are effective treatment. Both only kill live pests, not eggs.

There are a zillion types of mites, and only a very few affect chickens. Don't bother attacking every 'bug' out there, concentrate on the few who live on the chickens, or the mites who live in the coop and infect the birds at night.
Go out there at night when they are roosting, and look at the birds with a flashlight, around their vents, under wings, and necks and backs, at skin level. Treat them if even one bird has a few!
Mary
If they do have it, which they don't, how do I treat it?

Back
Top Bottom