Are red sex ms a stupid breed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ragerkid2, May 17, 2011.

1. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    This may seem harsh, but I have red sex links and I have light brahmas (in seperate brooders) and the red sex links seem dumb. There not inrmterested in treats... They just do their thing which is basically stand their while my LB interact with people..... And each other... Idk maby it's just my birds.

2. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Are any chicken breeds really smart?? [​IMG] I wouldn't say dumb, just different. They are all different in the way they interact. Some mature more quickly than others, and some relate better to people sooner, if at all, than other breeds. Give them time to figure out how to react to situations and you. We are all different, why should it be otherwise with chickens? [​IMG]

3. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I refer to my RSL as the blonde girls. They are quite comical. They will not get out from under my feet and do the craziest things to get to me first. Like jumping in the feeder or bucket I am carrying, or get on my shoulder while I am filling waterers. As far as treats go dont go around these nuts with fruit or you could end up in traction!!!

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

If they're still in brooders they may not be that interested in treats yet.
    Some chicks don't seem to "get it" about strange food. Some do. Doesn't seem to depend on the breed.
    Most of my chicks aren't very friendly (or smart) until they are close to laying age. Also being around older chickens they learn that treats are GOOD! Their mama would show them if a broody hen raised them, but they may not "get it" yet with a human raising them.

5. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    In my opinion RSL are a layer breed and tend to be a little flightier in the beginning, why?? I don't know, but my Lt. Brahmas were always like little puppy dogs, now that they are grown they are all sweet birds and nobodys shy in the yard, it justs takes some birds longer, All of them are individuals and have different personalitys, like Blossom and flower, both white leghorns and Blossom was sweet and flower was standoffish, same with Peaches and Dumplins both golden sexlinks and peaches was so loving and cuddlely not Dumplin though, I lost peaches awhile back , any way Dumplin is now 3 years old and not particually friendly but doesn't mind being petted and coming over to get treats. LOL Have patience your babies depend on you and they will come around you'll see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by