Are RIR good brooders need HELP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by terrilhb, Jan 9, 2011.

1. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Ok I live in Georgia. We are looking at ice tonight and tommorow. I have 12 eggs in the incubator. If my power goes out would a hen lay on the eggs if I had to put them out there? Or is this a dumb question

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You can't make a hen go broody. If you have a broody hen, yes, you can give her the eggs.

3. chicken-owner-31

chicken-owner-31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    I'm worried about that too!!! I only have 3 eggs that I think are any good, but no birds that would even consider going broody. (8 week olds and cornish x) [​IMG]

The hygrometer I have in there is also a thermometer, but runs differently than my Brinsea's thermometer. But it's battery operated. I figure I will watch that and if it gets too low (although I have no idea how low is too low) my next option is using my body as a broody. My body temp is 98.6, better than nothing!

Fingers crossed it doesn't come down to that!

4. terrilhb

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Thank you. I am new and was just wondering. I did come up with a alternative idea if the power goes out. Starting my car and turning the heat on in car and on the seats and putting eggs there. With the thermometer. Am I crazy yes. Sorry. My 1st hatch just want them to live. [​IMG]

5. chicken-owner-31

chicken-owner-31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    Actually, the car is a better idea than trying to cuddle the eggs! Why didn't I think of that! Haha!

I don't think you are crazy, I feel the exact same way....

Maybe that means we are both nuts! [​IMG]

6. terrilhb

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    thank you tuper. have had friends tell me I was crazy or over the top. Glad to know I am not. Alot of people I talk to think I am crazy cause I worry about my chickens and goats. But they worry about their dogs and cats. I have those also and worry about them. I never knew you could love chickens so much. They have personality and everything. Thanks again:hugs to you

7. Pascal PicklePants

Pascal PicklePants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2010
    Boise, ID
    Heated car seats is a great idea:D

I would use a towel or something to make a little nest, turn on the seat heaters and take some temp measurements now so you know what sort of temperatures you are dealing with.

I might do it too just out of curiosity!!

8. terrilhb

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    thanks pascal. did not think about doing it before. but will do. appreciate the support. oh sorry was going to put a towel down and put one on top if power goes out. just to make sure they hold the heat. finally i came up with a good idea.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  9. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
  10. terrilhb

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Thank you so much CatJane. I really appreciate this. The sleet just started here. Just a couple mins ago. Was looking for ideas. I am so thankful for your insight. Will definitlely keep in mind. Thanks again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by