Are Rock Roos Mean??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by warmfuzzies, Feb 15, 2009.

1. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    When I was growing up we had Buff Orpingtons, and the roos were as gentle as hens, you could pet them or carry them around. But I got Partridge Rocks and he was the meanest rooster ever! He would knock over my kiddos and attack me even when I was feeding him. The hatchery catalog said they were good pets...[​IMG]

SO just wondering, is it the breed, or me, or just him, or what?? Any ideas??

edited for horrible typing

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  2. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    It was probably just him. Roosters have minds of their own and they have to know who's boss! [​IMG]

3. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Raise them from when they are young and they're sweet. THough they will test you. Whenever they act up, pick them up and carry them around with you for half an hour. There's nothing that kills their ego more than getting carried around! Puts them in their place.

4. warmfuzzies

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    Well, thats good to know. i did read that just now on the rooster article. We will try again with his little peeps. hopefully.... [​IMG]

Thanks!

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Temperament is heritable. My main flock rooster last year, a BR, (RIP, Hawkeye) has produced many sons. With rare exception, they are all calm, friendly, sweet and intelligent. I have three of his sons still and adore them all. Even if you hand raise them, that is no guarantee that they will be non-aggressive once they approach mating age. You just have to wait and see. However, if he comes from a line of good-tempered roosters, you chances are good that he will be one, providing his environment has been a healthy one.

6. warmfuzzies

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    Oh. I diddnt know that about the genes. So I will raise up his babies and see, but they might be nasty too, if it is inherited? Oh, well. Maybe I can find some Partridge Rock roosters somewhere else. they seem to be hard to find though....

7. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    I raised 10 partridge rock cockerals, ate two mean ones. All the others are friendly, some are just great big pets. I kept three. They're good guys, never a problem with them.

Any roo can go bad. And temperament is inheritable. Just sort away aggressive birds. They're as likely to be poor tempered as any individuals in any group. Just don't live with a nasty one - they taste best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by