Are roos more 'tame'?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by EggQueen, Mar 8, 2014.

1. EggQueen

EggQueen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2013
    Cambridgeshire
    Hi all.

I have a whole pile of ~3-4 month old chickens, all different breeds, and the two that I suspect are roos (silkie bantam and araucana) are the only two who will let me pick them up and stroke them, who will sit on my arm and eat mealworms from my hand. Is this at all indicative of gender or is it just coincidence? [​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Sometimes roosters are more tame. This is because they are more bold and less afraid of new things than the pullets. However, some pullets are like this too. It really depends on the specific bird-- I've had both tame roosters and flighty roosters, and some very sweet pullets.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Quite often, yes.

It's very common for folks to post pics of a chick on here, hoping against hope it's not a rooster, because "it's the friendliest one" "it's my favorite", etc. it's been pointed out on this board that a baby chick having the confidence to approach a much larger, scarier human in actually a form of aggression....but we're humans so we say it's friendly instead.

I really can't tell from the pic if they're roosters or not....actually it wouldn't matter how good the picture of the silkie was, I still wouldn't be able to tell [​IMG] but other folks here can, at least once they get older.

4. EggQueen

EggQueen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2013
    Cambridgeshire
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by