Are roo's normally friendly?

cornfedhogedito

Songster
5 Years
Mar 23, 2014
California USA
1 of my 3 chicks is different looking! It has a red comb.....not sure if it is a roo, it is friendly. The other 2 are stand offish. Survey says?

Thanks, for got to mention they are 7 or 8 weeks.

I will watch this thread to see what all say. I am pretty sure one of my month old R.I.R.'s is a roo. He? is very much more outgoing and confident so he does not run from me when I pick him up and if I sit on the grass with them for outside time he will come and perch on my leg where the others stay near but not on me. Like yours mines comb is more developed and a bit pinker than its flockmates.

in my experience, the little cockerels always win over my heart because they are SOOOO sweet and friendly! they're way more confident and less afraid of humans, while the females instinct is less confident, run and hide, freak out like you're about to eat them when you pick them up. I also think that pinkish comb looks like a rooster!

Have you had them for 7-8 weeks? They look much younger. Like 3-4 weeks.

But yes, a red comb that's growing before the chick has even finished feathering is an indicator of a cockerel. Females can blush a little pink but they save the growth and darker shades for when they are near laying age.

Behavior is a poor predictor of gender unless it's already crowing.

You've got a little rooster :)
I find that roosters are very friendly, but they change when they mature generally.

Have you had them for 7-8 weeks? They look much younger. Like 3-4 weeks.

But yes, a red comb that's growing before the chick has even finished feathering is an indicator of a cockerel. Females can blush a little pink but they save the growth and darker shades for when they are near laying age.

Behavior is a poor predictor of gender unless it's already crowing.

Well don't I feel like the South end of a North bound mule!! I was looking at the wrong month!! they have been with us for 5 weeks on Sunday! Good catch Debid and no Crowing yet.
fl.gif

Nicole camp that is what I was thinking too, my wife keeps saying NO! My wife named him before we knew it was a he, Dumpling, for the most part I am not calling them by any name other then dinner!

Farmer viola he has definitely got my vote for now on my fav! That might change when/if he tries telling me he is king, that will be the day he becomes the chicken for our dumplings!!

I want to raise them for food so I am not going to get too attached to them
lau.gif
We were going to get chickens but not till we moved and got set up for them! now I am scrambling to figure out how and where to house them, they grow so fast. I am just glad my wife only got 3. In this short time I can understand chicken math, almost got more today when I picked up another bag of feed for them. Thank God for will power!! Oh I can not wait for the new house.

Speaking of feed is 10 pounds in five weeks about right? Also when would I start to put in fodder and fermented feed if I go that route?

I am not anticipating problems with him besides being too vocal just really surprised because the roo's my friends had growing up were not loving like this guy is right now!

Chick behavior MIGHT, but does not necessarily predict adult behavior. A male chick that is bold with humans seems "nice" but can turn into a rooster that takes on humans to establish dominance. Not so nice, then. It happens so regularly, though, that some take this to mean you should avoid handling rooster chicks any more than absolutely necessary so they don't mistake you for part of the flock.

My cockerel chick was meek. He hid in the corner when the big, scary beetles found their way in and the speckled Sussex pullet chick took care of them. He eventually established dominance over the pullets once he reached maturity but one of them routinely challenged his authority even into adulthood. But hey, he didn't challenge people or even our dog and that's a plus when you have small kids.

BTW, pullet chicks can change with maturity, too. My skittish EEs calmed down a great deal.

Last edited:
i find it very stereotypical that roosters are mean. i currently have two full-grown bantam roosters and one is quite mean, though he is never a major problem. our other bantam rooster is the sweetest chicken we have. he will practically jump into your arms. roosters also create a beautiful balance between the chickens. our hens seem to find them to be quite good company. good luck with your chickens!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom