Are roosters like most males?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by smallfry, Nov 20, 2008.

1. smallfry

smallfry New Egg

Nov 20, 2008
    Ok I have searched the world wide web over and can't seem to answer my dumb question. Do roosters mate all of the time or just certain times of the year? I figure they are like most males and can be ready at any time. Sorry if this offends you guys out there.

2. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Roosters are always prepared.

3. smallfry

smallfry New Egg

Nov 20, 2008
    Thanks, I was thinking that but wasn't sure. I wanted to try my hand at hatching a few babies this spring and I just lost my "Reggie" roo. A neighbor gave me his big white leghorn...I think we're gonna call him tom-tom (he reminds us of a turkey he's so big) So after he settles into his new home for a while I should be back in business.

ps. only two horses???? We have four. I told my husband they are like cats and chickie poos. You can't just have one! LOL He has threatened to get me a t-shirt that reads
    I do not need another horse

4. Ya know, being a guy, I have something to say.

Yep, the roos are always trying to mate with thier hens. What is worse is that given the chance they will mate with other roos hens too. I have a silkie/leghorn/something out in the nursery. Cute little thing, but darn Who da daddy ??

5. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    **edited to remove inappropriate comment**

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by