Are roosters louder than guineas????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bald k9, Jul 18, 2010.

1. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    I hear that guineas are loud but are they louder than roosters? thanks

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  2. backwoodsman4life

backwoodsman4life Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2010
    El Reno, Oklahoma
    I don't kno if they are louder but from what I have read they are very vocal. They are considered the "watch dogs" in the bird world. Alot of farmers have them around to protect there flocks from snakes and other animals. they also eat other bugs such as tics. In my reading on them they seam easier to take care of than chickens because after 4 weeks you prety much just let them do what they want. They are very territorial and they always return to where they were raised.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. BC_Farms

BC_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Enfield & Chaplin CT
    Yes. And they all chat at once.

4. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    OMG!!!! Guineas are the LOUDEST!!!!! I will NEVER own them again, they are so loud.

5. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Guineas are very loud. Mine used to stand on my neighbor's roof and express their opinions at the top of their lungs; as if a bird making an earpiercing sound on the ground isn't loud enough!

6. NHchicks

NHchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    The thing about guineas is they can be loud AND they roam. So that means they will most likely be loud under your neighbor's window. I found my guineas were loudest when they were nervous. If they were in their routine in my yard they were pretty quiet. But they roam constantly and are skittish, so they get nervous and sound the alarm over any little thing. If you don't have neighbors who care, it's very doable, their sound never bothered me, whereas my rooster did. But they just don't make for good neighbor relations.

(I still miss my guineas. I loved those birds. Great pest control.)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  7. Birdbrain99114

Birdbrain99114 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2009
    Colville, Wa.
    I had two guineas. The are, by far, louder than anyone can imagine. They pestered each other (both males) and all of our hens until they forced their way into the stew pot. All chickens eat bugs so there isn't any need to get guineas for pest control. In my mind, the only value they have, other than looking different, is to aggravate one's neighbors (NOT a goal of mine).

There are no plans of guineas on our place for the rest of our lives. They do taste like the dark meat of a turkey, though.[​IMG]

8. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Yes as everybody else has said they are very loud and obnoxious, did I mention how loud they are, non stop cackling the likes of which any womens sewing circle would be envious of LOL. A rooster has a nice melodic tone and sound when he crows, Guineas on the other hand have a loud shrill cackle in unison with others that makes you cringe and want to cover your ears, because it is so annoying.

AL

9. I have over 30 Guineas. I hardly hear them anymore. You get so used to the noise that it just does not bother you.

My Guineas get about 3 to 6 in a group and go run the property. I guess they are so comfortable here that they hardly ever go off and I hardly ever hear the females calling.

Get them in the barn at roost time and walk in when you not expected and you will have a "group yell". This is pretty loud.

Guineas are usually pretty dang busy with the bug catching thing. They rest in the day often and dust bath and sleep in the shade just like the chickens.

Like I said though, my birds have become very comfortable around me, the dog, the cat and the mini horses. I love my Guinea hens.

Here is a poem about them ...

The Sixth Day Bird

The Creator, creating the beasts of the field,
    In a moment of whimsy could not help but yield
    To an urge, and what could be fitter?

"I'll make Me one final whimsical critter!"
    He began with the torso, spheroidal, prolate,
    With legs short and stubby and toes six or eight.
    The head wears a helmet with a strawberry top
    And down-dangling wattles either straight or a lop.
    Most birds are melodious, with a tune for each
    He endowed this one with a god-awful screech.
    They seldom walk--'tis a run or a trot,
    Snatching bugs left and right, one for each polka-dot.
    Their mentality make(sic) them insatiably curious.
    They greet things strange with clamor furious
    He made 'em gregarious to run in a flock
    Then, wearily spent, He looked at his clock.
    The Sixth Day ebbed into night when He
    Grinned as He rested and called it a GUINEA!

Chet Lowe '02
    Copyright [​IMG] 2004

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  10. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    The only thing louder than a Guinea is a Peacock. I have 6 acres so they didn't really bother me at all but when the all start sounding a warning....believe me, you won't have a problem hearing them! Once one sounds the alarm they all chime in.

They will also run your roos to death. Still really cool birds though, you just have to have the property for them and manage them right. They also fly so well that its impossible to keep them up unless you have a covered run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by