Are roosters suppose to protect chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Johnn, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    ?

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Some will, but the best most will do is warn the hens that a bird of prey is spotted. If a 4 legged predator threatens, most roosters will run for their lives, just like hens. However, If a hen is attacked, her squawking will usually bring the rooster running to defend her. They usually "chicken out" before they resque the hen, though......Pop

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Generally roosters 'protect' hens by serving as a warning system. Some roosters will actually attack a predator in an attempt to protect, but in doing so generally lose their lives depending upon the predator.

4. Kathylovesherchickens

Kathylovesherchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2011
    White Hall MD
    Mine sure do [​IMG] I've seen my rhode island red mix spur a small hawk that was trying to take one of his hens. He got the job done before I could get anything to get the hawk off the hen.

5. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    oh just because to of my hens have recentley been killed and it would have been nice if he adleast tryed to help them and 1 was attempted to be killed but i think he helped her because its one of his favouraites

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Each rooster is different with his own personality. Some are better flock protectors than others, not because of size but because of personality. To me, a good flock protector watches for problems, warns his flock to run for safety, and puts himself between his flock and the threat. I had one that would lead his flock to safety. To me, that was not acceptable. He should send them to safety while he protects the rear.

They do not have much of a chance with a lot of predators as far as having a chance to win a fight, though occasionally they will. Even if they are alert and watching, a fox or something like that can attack from ambush and be gone with the hen before the rooster can react.

A good rooster will do what he can to protect his flock, even put himself at risk, but he certainly has his limits.

7. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    minus a rooster in our flock, my hens warn each other.

8. Hunter0704

Hunter0704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2011
    Wentzville, MO
    I had a RIR rooster and four hens a few years ago. He watched over those hens constantly. Our neighbor has Guineas which would come over in our yard and eat the seed dropped from the bird feeder...as our chickens did also. Well, one day I look out and two of the Guineas were bateing my rooster....one in front of him and one behind him...then they would take turns with attempted runs at him. My rooster stood his ground and defended himself, the bird feeder and his hens who came out to eat the bird seed. This happened several times over the next year, but he never let them win. They would give up and leave. What a guy! My girls free ranged and I never had to worry about them as he was always with them, keeping an eye out for trouble.

Eventually I had to get rid of him though. He was so defensive he got to where he would come at my husband and I when we went outside. I carried a rake with me at all times and eventually was having to protect myself from him constantly. When he started bothering the neighbors, both the husband and the wife, I knew it was time for him to go. He went to another farm that had a lot more girls for him to protect, so I'm sure he was happy. After he was gone we couldn't believe how nice it was to go outside and not worry about him coming out of no where and attacking us. The girls even seemed happier!

I recently got some new chicks and ducklings....this time, there are no males! I don't want to experience anymore problems with roosters! Even though I would love to find a friendly rooster, that is impossible if one gets chicks...never know what you have till he grows up.

9. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    well ive seen him help one escape a goose when it caught her all the rest joined in and he flapped at them but thats it and to be honest when my dog chased them the other week he ran away and left the hens behinf it really wouldnt suprise me if something was in the shed he pult a hen back by its tail so he could get out first

10. mallory2013

mallory2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Eastern CT
    My roo died protecting his girls from my next door neighbors dogs [​IMG] They killed two of them before he (or I) could save them, and he then attacked the dogs and they in turn killed him. I was devastated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by