Are Roosters Trainable???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sab, Jan 22, 2013.

1. sab

sab Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Ripley, WV
    My Coop
    Are roosters trainable at all? Can they be coached into any behaviors at all?

My daughter has a rooster in Columbus.... and I mean "IN" Columbus. She can't hear that bird in her bedroom. Now that is a quite roo. Is that breed related or just luck? I want a quiet roo!

I know roosters are often the subject of this forum. Not sure trying to mold behavior has been discussed.... I'd like to have a roo. I know the 'pros' to having one. I know the 'cons' too. I just don't know if human interaction can influence any of those. I know I don't want to hear a rooster in my bedroom. I can hear a rooster on the next ridge crowing all during the day - one crow after another... I'd bag a bird like that....

AND is it a myth - people tell me roosters crow when they are disturbed or alerted. I thought they crow just for fun....

Thanks in advance!

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    They can be trained as can hens. This can vary with breed.

I think crowing is related to testosterone levels. High testosterone means frequent crowing. Increasing day length and mild temperatures promote increased in crowing as well.

I use a couple of my roosters for display and interaction with kids. I think when birds are frequently handled and they are not stressed, crowing is suppressed. Same roosters when riled will crow their heads off when riled.

My roosters crow spontaneously during day but have bouts of crowing in very early predawn hours and periodically during morning after coming off roost. Hearing a rival, especially one that is not known stimulates crowing. Crowing is generally less frequent later in day.

Disturbance or alerted in my situation usually involves another rooster. Occasionally a rooster that had a successful display at a hawk will engage in a bout of crowing.

3. sab

sab Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Ripley, WV
    My Coop
    So you are saying that a single rooster will tend to be more quite than 2 or more? I have 13 hens. Planning to add 4 more this spring. 1 roo ought to be enough for 17 hens. I don't know the optimal ratio but surely fewer is better than more.....

I have 2 Pekin ducks that live with the hens. All female. I wonder what the dynamics would be like if a male anything is introduced into that.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Hens can also stimulate crowing. Only thing that really seems to suppress crowing is intense / persistant persecution by predators. If you have money then another option is de-crowing for which a thread can be found by searching "de-crowing" and "bluedogsonly".

For me, crowing is as much a part of the rooster as his feathers or beak. If crowing too big of an issue, then keeping of rooster and possible hens needs to be reconsidered..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by