Are runners good pets does anyone have one?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AnDrEw&Cole, Jul 10, 2011.

1. AnDrEw&Cole

AnDrEw&Cole Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    I was wanting to get a good calm breed of duck but i wanted something different also... so the runner looked like a choice for me! But are they good pets does annyone know?

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Any duck can be a good pet if handled right from a young age. However, runners are not by nature the calmest breed. Magpies, welsh harlequins, pekins, and, especially, muscovies are known for their calm natures. Muscovies can be downright friendly like a dog. But how they are raised and handled is much more important than breed.

3. AnDrEw&Cole

Jul 10, 2011
    THANKYOU! that helped a lot [​IMG]

4. keyt1969

keyt1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have runners too. The males are pains in the arse and females are calm but LOUD. iamcuriositycat is right, if you get them from a young age their temperament can be good or bad dependent upon how they're treated. Most of my ducks are rescues so I've only had a few from duckling age.

Muskovies are definitely the calmest of my breeds. They aren't loud at all, they hiss or peep, not quack. Even though I got my pair as rescues from a friend, they are still two of my nicest.

5. AnDrEw&Cole

Jul 10, 2011
    Wich one would you recommend a drake or a hen because i know the drake will be wanting to mate with my other ducks but im scared if i get a female she will be brooding her eggs and be mean all the time trying to protect them i just don't know [​IMG]

6. keyt1969

keyt1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

AnDrEw&Cole :

Wich one would you recommend a drake or a hen because i know the drake will be wanting to mate with my other ducks but im scared if i get a female she will be brooding her eggs and be mean all the time trying to protect them i just don't know [​IMG]

It's like I said in my other post to you, hens are the best. Drakes can pull feathers out, chase and get on top of any hen that's around. I have too many drakes and if they weren't rescues and special needs ducks (angel wing, etc) then I wouldn't have so many. Even when I just had one cayuga drake he was constantly chasing and pulling feathers out of the females.

Hens aren't as mean as you may think. If they do go broody, like I said gently place something in front of their face (I use an empty feed bag) and take the eggs. They aren't nearly as mean as chickens who have gone broody!!​

7. Habbakuk

Habbakuk Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    I wouldn't recommend them as in my experience they are very hyper. I think iamcuriositycat sums it up best though, doesn't really matter what breed it is, sort of like dogs, yes some breeds are more inclined towards certain behavior, but that means little if they are raised correctly.

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Runners have a reputation for being high strung. Mine are great - very sweet and energetic but not spizzy.

In our case, it is probably due to my ability to spend many hours with them as they grew up. So if you don't have hours a day to spend with them, runners are probably not the best choice.

9. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Quote:Mine are like this too. I got them last August when I was looking for work, not actually working, so I was able to spend time with them. We'd spend an hour playing in the bathroom and then a quick swim before putting them back out in their kennel on the patio. I'd go out and sit with them with the kennel door open for a while several times a day and sat with them for a good 30+ mins each night and would take each one out and sit them in my lap for a few minutes. I didn't force it as nobody liked it though.
    Now as adults, they are friendly - one is still not so interested in people, but she doesn't run away from people she knows.
    They both run to me when I have anything in my hands hoping it is for them.

If you raise ducklings in small numbers and are able to spend a good chunk of time with them, you should have reasonably friendly ducks. With runners, friendly, but they aren't likely going to be interested in sitting on your lap or anything though, they just won't run screaming from you.

Oh yeah, mine also went through a loud mouth stage. They are pretty quiet now.

10. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

I agree with Amiga. My runner is very friendly but only because I spent alot of time with him as he was growing up. He even likes to be held and cuddle (indoor duck) I have 3 more ducklings right now that I am keeping strictly outside so i have not spent as much time with them and I can see a big difference. I can get close but not that close before they start getting scared and trying to run everywhere. They act like they are terrified of me most of the time and are much louder than my other that i spent time with. If you want runners I think it will take alot of work but if you have the time then go for it! They are pretty awesome!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by