1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are Sandhill birds generally healthy?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by gamefowl guy, Jan 17, 2012.

1. gamefowl guy

gamefowl guy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2011
    My computer
    Hi all, I am interested in placing an order in the next few months with Sandhill, but was wondering, are they MG/MS tested negative? I know they are NPIP, but that doesn't cover MG or MS, does it? I am wondering because one of my friend's bird's are sick with what is probably MG, and I have read a lot of mail-order hatcheries breeding stock are carriers. So anyone with experience from them? All the birds you got healthy? I hear they have some nice birds. Thanks

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    No, they are not MG/MS negative.

Just about roughly 90 percent of the chicken population has it.

Whitmore Farms are the only ones I know of that are MG/MS negative with their birds. I personally don't know of anyone else yet.

3. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    I was looking at Sandhill too.

When you say 90%, do you mean including production birds (layers, broilers)? Or just heritage breeds?

4. gamefowl guy

gamefowl guy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2011
    My computer

Yeah, thanks, DOES that include production birds? And by Sandhill not being MG/MS, do you mean they have it, or they just are not tested for it? Thanks again!

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Entire population of chickens in the US. It could be waterfowl as well.

I think he didn't test his birds for those type of diseases. If you look at the website, it is only typhoid and pullorum negative.

It does not mean he HAS them but just not tested. If you want, you can buy his chicks and test them.

6. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    I might try buying chicks and testing them, I don't know - where do you find this MG info? Any place in particular?

7. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Oh goodness.... I wouldn't recommend getting Dorking's there because 1 out of 6 of the Dorking's we got from there were roo's!!!!!! [​IMG]

8. camalianus

camalianus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    You got a very good ratio. 1 rooster out of 6 chicks is very good. It supposed to be 50/50. They sell only straight run chicks. Buying straing run is a gamble, you can get more pullets or more roos. [​IMG]

9. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Oh no! I meant 1 hen out of 6 roos!! Oops! [​IMG]

10. gingernutranger

gingernutranger Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2007
    Overall I think there birds are plenty healthy for your needs. I wouldn't worry to much. They have some breeds that are really nice and close to standards but some of the rare breeds are far from the standards.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by