Are sebright chicks really hard to raise?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dinos_rock, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Dinos_rock

Dinos_rock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    I read in a chicken breed book that sebright chicks are really difficult to raise (without them dying). Is this true? I already ordered a sebright chick and I don't want it to die. [​IMG] Is there anything I can do to help it have a better chance of surivival? (vitamins or something? [​IMG] )

2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I got two from the banty bin at TSC and they were just as normal as the rest.

3. Dinos_rock

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    ok, thanks.[​IMG]

4. lknight

lknight Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2008
    Western Washington
    I have one too, in with the standard size chicks. She is 6 weeks now and I haven't had any problems either.

5. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I think they are harder to hatch than just plain raise.

They are spazzos, though [​IMG]

6. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    I have 2 Silver and 2 Gold Sebrights on the way too! I plan to give them vitamins in their water for the first few days just because they w ill be sooo tiny. When are yours arriving? Mine are scheduled for next week. I'm so excited! [​IMG]

7. Dinos_rock

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    Lucky! I'm so jealous. [​IMG] Mine aren't coming until August 4. Where did you order from? I ordered from mpc.

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I dont under stand why people keep saying that Sebrights are hard to hatch and raise.

I just incubated 13 Silver Sebright eggs, and all 13 hatched fine. I almost always get 100% hatches on my sebrights. I have sebright chicks that are around 1 month old. All are doing great, and I have not lost one. I also have 13 sebright chicks that are around 1 week old, and I havent lost one of those either.

In my opinion they are one of the easiest breeds to hatch and raise.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  9. rjv_piper

rjv_piper Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Utah
    My nieghbor hatches and raises them. He says they don't have a very good fertality rate, but they are easy to raise. My grandma loves silver sebrites so I'm going to get her some:)

10. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I hatched sebrights just fine too, and they were fine as chicks. Dunno where this comes from!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by