Are tomatoes/pepper plants from Home Depot good?

Chickies11

Songster
Jan 30, 2021
East Massachusetts
Hi, I am looking for some tomato and pepper plants and was thinking about getting them from Home Depot. Or am I better off at my local garden nursery? I was only thinking about Home Depot because they have the specific types of plants like "Tumbling Tom Hybrid", whereas my local garden nursery would just have "patio tomato". Thanks in advance!

Don't see why they wouldn't be "good." I just don't shop there for plants because 1) I want organic vegetable starts, if possible and 2) not a lot of variety for someone like me as I'm often looking for much more obscure varieties.

I actually find some of my local grocery stores to be good places to find starts, and they're often cheaper than nurseries too. Same with some smaller hardware stores, they can have a bigger garden section than the big box stores sometimes (since they're not selling other garden wares like fencing and patio stones).

I know this is a bit late, but I planted all started plants from Home Depot last year and they were wonderful. Several pepper, tomato, and cucumber varieties. They all grew, one cucumber broke and I also planted the broken part with like 1 tiny root fiber still on it, and it grew to a huge plant like the others. This year I started from seeds, and I have some more fun varieties, like tomato’s shaped like pears and vine peaches, but I had no complaints about Home Depot’s plants, in fact I ordered blueberries and an apple tree and I wish I had bought them at Home Depot because they’re the pits!

Back
Top Bottom