Are Seramas good broodies?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tomstephens, Aug 11, 2008.

1. tomstephens

tomstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Charlotte NC
    I'm considering getting a couple of Seramas and was just curious if they are regular and reliable broodies?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

When I had a few hens go broody they were pretty good, although all that sitting and majority of the time they were passing one egg around between them! I guess the others were sysmpathy sitters. [​IMG] Silkies are the best I've seen, my seramas only go broody once in a while. My silkies will sit on anything, i found them sitting on a kids toy plastic lemon & potato, go figure.....guess they were making lemon chicken with chick wedges

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

OMG!!! I can't wait till mine grow up!!!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I have a book that says they aren't. But that book also says that Japanese aren't broody and both of my friends Japanese went broody. So, maybe they are and maybe they aren't...

5. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    with the exeption of a few, most bantams in my expierience are good setters

6. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    I have 1 with 3 babies she sat herself and more now setting. Can't keep tehm from setting- but hey can't cover more than 5- 6 eggs.They seem to keep sitting longer if you leave the "duds" under them a while too and then the chicks seem to do better.I have noticed the chicks raised by moms seem to stay smaller than the ones I raise in brooders.Maybe becasue they are not eating as much because they sleep more under mom.

7. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I just got into seramas myself. Mine are about 4 months old and i had one lay her first egg the other day! Wonder if they are suppose to lay that young? As far as broody goes i will soon find out i guess. If all else fails i have some dependable cochins just waiting for the opportunity to hatch more babies [​IMG]

8. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I have a 6 y/o hen who finally went broody for the first time ever last month. She is a great mother and hatched out all 7 eggs.
    I would not consiter her a "Broody" hen. Just her "Biological Clock" must have been ticking. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Awwww how sweet!!!! I want some more!!! lol

10. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I have one that just hatched her second brood this year. She hatched 4 the first time, 2 the second, but I threw in a chick from the incubator about a week later and she adopted it, probably because it's black like her other babies. She would have had 3, but one was a dud. I'm hoping to breed her to my new Serama roo this time around. Her two babies are Serama x Cochin and are very cute, but huge!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by