are sex link hens better layers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 54smokepole, Feb 4, 2008.

1. 54smokepole

54smokepole Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2008
    North Dakota
    Do hatcheries make sex link chickens just to make it easier to sex, or do they really lay more eggs than their pure bred parents?

2. Yogiman

Yogiman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    South Louisiana
    They are indeed easier to sex at the hatchery however they are egg laying machines. I have to believe from my years of experience that they do for what ever reason out perform the standard breeds. I am not that fond of them but if it is eggs you want they can do it. I prefer to stick with the heavy weight pure breds.

3. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    The definitely are egg laying machines.

I have 2 that lay everyday.

Out of the 4 months they've been laying, there have been maybe 7 days with only 1 egg instead of 2.

1 person likes this.
  4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Not only are they easier to sex, but the parent strains are often optimized, so their off spring are even better at egg laying.

5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Oh yeah, they are tremendous layers. I have 6, they aren't really nice to the other chickens though, they've been picking at them. I like them ok, they like to come see what I have or talk to me, (I think they are yelling at me) but I don't like them picking.

6. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    According to my math and the number of eggs collected last month, my 4 RSLs lay 3.9 eggs per day. I have one who likes to take a day off every now and then, but only 3 times in January and one of those was right after a hawk killed another hen. In December, with 5 hens, I got 4.87 eggs per day. When you drag it out to annual figures, my girls will each lay nearly 355 eggs per year. Of course, the numbers will change as they get older, they're just in their first year. Purebreds won't be able to keep up during the first year, but may do better in the long run if you don't want to get new hens every year or two.

7. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Sex links are better layers for the first two seasons and then decline rapidly from there. They burn out quicker than a heritage breed. Over the course of five years a heritage breed will lay more eggs and usually keep on going after that where the sexlink is finished by then if not before.

8. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    In our very limited experience: not really.

Our girls started laying in October. The sex link was first, and her eggs quickly became very large, so I assumed she'd be the laying champion.

However, I kept records in Dec and Jan: overall we averaged 4 eggs per day from 6 hens. We added a couple hours of supplemental morning light. The order of who laid the most eggs:

1) Australorp 6.1 small eggs per week
    2) SLW 6 med/lg eggs per week
    3) Sex Link 5.5 large eggs per week
    4) BR 5.4 med/lg eggs per week
    5) EE 4.2 large eggs per week (slightly older hen)
    6) BO -1 very large egg per week (slightly older hen)

Stacey

9. karri25

karri25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2007
    Arkansas
    Yes, my Aunt has black stars who are now 2-3 years old and they are not laying really at all.

10. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Our leghorns seem to be the best egg layers. The sex links do seem to burnout after a couple of years of consistant laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by