1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are Sex-Links 100% accurate? @@@PICS@@@ update

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Cassandra, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Cassandra

Cassandra Ranger Rick

Oct 27, 2007
    Southwest Mississippi
    I got 2 RIR and 3 BSL pullets from the feed store a month ago.

One of the BSL is HUGE. She towers over the others. Also, while the smaller BSL have pretty red tipped feathers on their bodies, the huge one has a really pronounced red ring on her breast and around her neck.

I was just wondering if there is a possibility that some genetic issue could make a BSL rooster look like a pullet. If not, then I guess she is just a gigantic pullet. LOL

Cassandra

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  2. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Yes, it is 100% accurate. In every batch of chicks, there is always a dominant one. In our chicks, the wyandotte bantam is the dominant one and now he is as large as the sumatras.

3. Cassandra

Cassandra Ranger Rick

Oct 27, 2007
    Southwest Mississippi
    Awesome. She is just beautiful, btw.

I was beginning to wonder if that Godzilla chicken had been sewing some wild oats.

[​IMG]

Cassandra

4. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    I'd love to see pix of her!!! She sounds really neat!

5. Cassandra

Cassandra Ranger Rick

Oct 27, 2007
    Southwest Mississippi
    I will try to get some pictures when I get home from work today. I'd like to get her standing next to one of her sisters if possible. Should make for a cute pic. [​IMG]

Cassandra

6. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:A BSL cockrel looks nothing like the hens. They are barred grey/white and rarely have any red on them (sometimes a few feathers here and there). So you just have a big pullet.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Or a non sexlink jumped into the sexlink pen!

8. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Well, they were from the feed store. I'm 100% confident that your typical feed store employee is 100% incompetent at identifying day old baby chicks.

[​IMG]

9. Cassandra

Cassandra Ranger Rick

Oct 27, 2007
    Southwest Mississippi
    Well here she is!

First pic, she is standing next to her brooder-mate. I know it is an odd perspective, but she is not standing on stilts. She's tall.

[​IMG]

This picture gives a better closeup of the red ring around her neck. her comb is bigger and redder than the others', too.

[​IMG]

Cassandra

10. DementedHam

DementedHam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Southern California
    That is exactly what my BSL looked like at that age. She is pretty big though.

BTW......................
    Quote:Can you even consider that as BIG? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by