Are shell less eggs normal for new layers??

Hangin Wit My Peeps

AutumnBreezeChickens.com
11 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Birnamwood, Wisconsin
I have oystershell out and started them on layer food when she laid her first egg (which was a perfect hard shelled egg). Is it normal to lay a normal one and than lay a soft shelled one? I can't believe these soft shell ones come out NOT SMOOSHED! LOL The egg inside was perfect...perfect little yolk too
big_smile.png

I could always tell when a new girl was starting to lay because I'd get a couple soft shells even though I had oyster shell out as well
smile.png
It seems normal to me. Mine are RIRs.

Yea same as debiraymond said, that's what I hear around here too. I haven't seen one yet, and I ain't looking forward to it. I walk into the coop while banging the sides with a stick(snakes), then squint my eyes hoping for a normal egg. I'm sure when it happens though I will be totally caught off guard. I can say that I've had a couple of double yolkers that were a bit soft to the touch on the pointed end.

Heebie jeebies.

I got a shell-less one today too. I think its coming from a new layer (not sure who) cause she did it on a poop pile. I just noticed that hubby took out all the fake eggs yesterday. But, we still have some new layers (about 2 left). Should I put them back or will they see the others on the nest and learn from them?

Wow, that sounded dumb. What I meant to say was will they see the other chickens on the nest and learn from them or should I put the fake eggs back.

It could help...but i don't know because I never used fake eggs for my two pullets. They just seen the nest box and laid in there.

My hen has been laying for two months now. She lays normal eggs five days a week. Then one day a week she will lay a normal egg and follwed by one to two shell less ones a few hours later. After that she takes a day off and lays nothing. This has been a normal pattern for the last month and a half. I started to get concerned but reading others messages has made me feel better!

Back
Top Bottom