Are Silkie chicks different???

abs45

Chirping
Mar 12, 2017
Hello all!

Wondering, since silkies don't get "regular" feathers, do I need to be more concerned with night time temps when moving 7&8 wk old chicks from brooder to coop? They haven't been utilizing their heat source in the brooder (in the house) for a while now.

I'm in NC, and night time lows are in 50s & 60s, day time mid-upper 80s.

Thanks!

I just had TSC silkies, a lot bigger than what they're supposed to be, but still silkie feathers. They did just fine at that age, they are not as fragile as you'd think. And I had to put them in the coop every night, slow learners, get home well after dark, and scoop them all up and toss them in. Just took forever before they got it. Some nights in cold rain storms looking like drowned rats huddling out in the rain with a perfectly good coop sitting right there :lau
It was crazy, took months before they started going in themselves :barnie

I just had TSC silkies, a lot bigger than what they're supposed to be, but still silkie feathers. They did just fine at that age, they are not as fragile as you'd think. And I had to put them in the coop every night, slow learners, get home well after dark, and scoop them all up and toss them in. Just took forever before they got it. Some nights in cold rain storms looking like drowned rats huddling out in the rain with a perfectly good coop sitting right there :lau
It was crazy, took months before they started going in themselves :barnie
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll try bootin them out this weekend while I'm home. It's covered, with access to sunshine as well. One of the 7 1/2 wk old buffs has been-in my opinion-trying to CROW the past few mornings. Ugh, hope it's the only boy!

Back
Top Bottom