1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are silkie chicks sleepy??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickhamm, Mar 2, 2008.

1. chickhamm

chickhamm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    i just hatched out 7 silkies , the last one hatched saturday. They seem very sleepy to me, they dont eat alot or drink alot. I actually have to take the heat lamp away to get them to move around and eat or drink. One i'm actually trying to force feed because ive never seen it take a bite of food. Is it normal for them to be so sleepy, it has been several months since ive had chicks so maybe im just forgeting how they act the first few days after hatch.

chickhamm
    Theressa

2. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    I had silkies hatch from Lisa (Dipsy's) flock and both times the chicks came out and within an hour were running and eating. It was very strange as I've never seen chicks do that before, but all hatches are probably slightly different.

3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Some hatches are slow to get hyper. Put small containers of food
    and water near them so they don't have to go far for food. A good
    vitamin in the water will help too. Hand feed them some yogurt
    if they are not getting nutrition.

I've had a lot of chicks take several days to perk up. DON'T TURN OFF
    THE HEAT LAMP. That will chill them and extend their sluggishness.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Make sure the brooder is the right temp (around 95 for day olds). If it is too cold or too hot, they will often become lethargic. Proper temp encourages them to be more active. If they just hatched, they do take a little to get going tho sometimes. If your temp is good, give them a little more time. You could try encouraging them by tapping on the water and feed dish. It simulates the pecking sound that is their nature.

Jody

5. chickhamm

Nov 20, 2007
    i've been clucking and tapping at the food and such to get them interested in the food. i'll put a therm in there and see what the temp is.

chickhamm

6. chickhamm

Nov 20, 2007
    :eek:

OK, waaaaayyyy to hot in there, 113 OMG, i moved the light wayyyy up and changed the bulb from a 60 to a 40. They are already perking up, thank goodness.

chickhamm
    Theressa

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Whew..that is hot. Glad you were questioning their behavior and it was an easy fix. Good luck with your chicks.

Jody

8. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    WOW!!!! Good call Jody!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by