Are Silkie Roosters Meaner Then Other Breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by WildCochinReba, Jun 20, 2016.

1. WildCochinReba

WildCochinReba Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2016
    I'm almost positive my one month Silkie is a cockerel by how he behaves. I heard somewhere that Silkie roosters are really aggressive, I was wondering if that's true. [​IMG] I know it's way to early to tell but I wanted you to see him.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  2. Lil Peeps

Lil Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2016
    In my experience with raising Silkie roosters they have been quite aggressive. But then again almost all the roosters I get turn out to be aggressive. I guess I don't put my foot down and instead snuggle them too much. But there was one rooster I have owned that was human friendly and he was a Silkie. So I guess it just depends on the individual chicken and how he acts.

3. ShellyBear

ShellyBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    that looks like a rooster. All breeds have their nice and ornery , you might just have to be patent and see. Good luck!

4. WildCochinReba

WildCochinReba Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2016
    Darn, that's very disappointing I was hoping for a pullet but his behavior is so much like a cockerel! Thanks for the reply!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  5. dowdlauren

dowdlauren Just Hatched

Jun 22, 2016
    I had a silkie rooster I eventually had to get rid of because he was so mean. You'd think, with such sweet hens and adorable personalities, that the roosters would be toned down a bit haha. But in my experience, silkie roosters are no more or less aggressive than all the others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by