Are Silkies and Polish chicks all Bantams?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SteveBaz, Oct 18, 2011.

1. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Are Silkies and Polish chicks all Bantams? I need full size birds to go out with my existing girls.

My wife want a chick with DO? it took me a day to figure out what the heck she was talking about??? Holly smokes? I found my wife snooping around on this site looking at posts and at breeds of chicks and she has been looking for a Silkie and doing searches for Polish Chickies. I can't believe it and she won't cop to it until last night in bed she broke down and wanted a chicken for herself [​IMG]:O [​IMG] this makes me very happy.

When did your spouse finally surrender? I am blown away completely. Took 2 years to pet our dog MAX.

2. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Silkies are bantam sized birds and the Polish breed are standard large fowl birds.

3. SteveBaz

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:Thanks and now at this time of the year where does one find new Polish chicks or juvenile chicks?

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Steve, I've heard there are large fowl silkies in the UK, but I haven't seen any in the USA. Also, my friend breeds Polish and they come in bantam as well as large fowl sizes. I have a Polish bantam from her.

Here he is!

[​IMG]

5. SilkieBantams

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Quote:Thanks and now at this time of the year where does one find new Polish chicks or juvenile chicks?

You can check nearby local feed stores to see if they have Polish chicks available at their store.

6. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:Silkies are recognized as bantam in the US, Polish come in both bantam and standard (large fowl) sizes. There are lots of breeders for both. If you are looking for chicks, you should look under the Polish or Silkie threads (just enter them into the search bar, also, search for a thread for your homestate and you will likely find a breeder in your neck of the woods. Just ask on each thread or post your own ad on the Wanted To Buy section here on BYC.

Good luck on your search, and congrats to your wife! She won't be disappointed...both breeds are a super joy to raise!

7. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Well Steve this time of year in the pacific northwest I have never seen chicks at the feed stores but there does seem to be an abundance of them on craigslist. Baby chicks aren't too common this late into the season but if you are looking for like some 6-8 week old birds you might be in luck. I just bought an easter egger off craigslist last week that was 7 weeks old and she had probably 5 more for sale, no Polish, though. Polish is a favorite, due to how fancy they look, so just scan craigslist for a few days and you'll probably find something that will work. If not there is always places like MyPetChicken.com which will do orders as small as 3 birds. However, shipping on that is 38 dollars here outside of Portland, Oregon. That's always the worst part!

8. SilkieBantams

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    The Polish breed are good for eggs but they never go broody.

9. SteveBaz

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:and why would that be bad? Really curious?

10. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    If she wants chicks with do's, I'd like to suggest she look at brabanters and spitzhaubens as well. Their crests aren't as large as Polish, so they can still see where they're going. [​IMG] They're standard sized as well. As far as silkies go, I used to have a rooster, and I'd consider him to be on the larger side of the bantam scale. He wasn't as big as a standard bird, but he was probably twice the size of my Old English Game Bantams.

I've heard that silkies go broody frequently, but since I only had a rooster, I have no personal experience with that. I don't think Polish, Spitz, or Brabanters are generally very broody birds.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by