1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are Silkies contagious?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BorderKelpie, Mar 29, 2009.

1. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Ok, I've been hanging out in here too long (and I'm fairly new) [​IMG]
    But, the more I read about these 'evil Silkies,' the more I think I may possibly want one (or two, even?). I was trying so hard to be pracitcal, picking a bunch of hard working dual purpose girls (I even call them My Working Girls - kinda feel almost like a pimp - especially since I just smuggled in a roo last week).
    Umm, NOT that I am even considering doing it, but could a silkie or two live in an aviary with my doves, perhaps. My big girls (and roo) would eat them alive. (OMG! I just said 'them ' - what happened?!?!? I thought, maybe, just maybe one -only one!) You people are so bad for me!

2. lindamass15

lindamass15 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2007
    I say go for it, I have 5 and I love them and I want more:thumbsup

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I resisted some 4 week old silkies at the feed store today. I think my older hens would eat a silkie alive!

4. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Quote:You are a strong, strong man! [​IMG]

5. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Silkies are not so fragile. One of my cute little white "babies" went toe-to-toe with a Wyandotte this morning. She had a meat scrap and was not gonna let the big girl have it. Silkie was able to run into a tight corner & chomp it down!

I have never had a standard hen hurt any of my Silkies. I HAVE had 2 Silkie roos kick the "you know what" out of a standard roo, though.

AND TO ANSWER THE QUESTION: yes, they are contagious. Don't bother to start with one or two, just get five or six so they can have their own little flock.

6. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I would like to know why they seem to be the only breed with this effect....

7. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Because they are the cutest, most precious things you will ever lay your eyes on....[​IMG]. Speaking of I need to go and slave..I mean see if my girls need anything.[​IMG]

8. wanda047

wanda047 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Hardy, Arkansas
    Here's how I solved my "I wanna silkie" delimna"... First I persuaded my husband and myself that they would be a good investment. They're good setters. Plus we were having issues with the children "bonding" with our buff orphingtons chicks which we are raising for meat and egg layers.

So we bought a breeding pair of silkies, explained to the children that they were "pets" and then explained that we would be eating the BO. They're okay with that and no longer want to "play" with the BO.

We are in the process of building a much smaller coop for the silkies with a nice run, using mostly scrap lumber and fencing that we already had on hand. Presently they are living in my house in a medium size cage and are quite content. By the time the weather is nice, hopefully we'll have the coop ready and move them out.

The silkies were a little pricey and my hubby still doesn't know how much I paid for them. I have no intentions of telling him either [​IMG] We love the silkies and I have no regrets... even when Mr. Jingles starts crowing at 1:30 in the morning [​IMG]

9. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    I saw one once and ran away screaming. Maybe it depends on how bad your allergies are? [​IMG]

10. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Quote:My mom had some years ago, I watched one kill and eat a small garden snake - impressive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by