Are silkies docile?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by alexa009, May 25, 2017.

1. alexa009

alexa009 Overrun With Chickens

I am thinking of getting silkies when I get more chickens. The only thing is, I will only get them if they are friendly. Are silkies docile? What is their disposition? As long as it doesn't mind being held or handled then that is great with me.

2. LittlePip21

LittlePip21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2017
    In my experience even the roosters are tame, the only problem I've had is I ended up with a bunch of roos and now the adolescents squabble a lot with each other, but they are very nice with people.

3. MrsEskew

MrsEskew Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2015
    Arkansas!!
    My Coop
    My 4 year old daughter carries her favorite Silkie around. Its the sweetest thing to see. None of my other chickens would ever allow it (and I have several breeds that have been raised from chicks) but Buffy the Silkie doesn't mind it at all. :love

4. alexa009

Aww! I would definitely get one now!:love

5. jas humbert

jas humbert Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2015
    Tennessee
    I have several breeds including silkies. In my opinion they are usually the gentlest and most docile of any breed I have owned. I have two silkies and one salmon faverole who are all broody now. Silkies are often broody- be prepared for that. The salmon tried to nip me today when I picked up eggs. The silkies just fussed a little and scrunched down.

If you want friendly chickens you need to get them as chicks and handle, feed treats and play with them a lot. All my silkie girls but one love to be picked up and even the one who doesn't like being picked up is always underfoot and friendly enough to eat out of my hand. I only have one non silkie other chicken (an old australorp) who is as ready to jump on my lap and be handled. That being said, chickens, like dogs, are individuals and you can find some that don't fit the breed profile.

6. jnckids

jnckids Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2017
    North Shore, Illinois
    My profile pic is my 2 yr old holding my almost 2 yr old silkie roo.

alexa009 likes this.
  7. alexa009

Aww! Does he like being held?

8. MrsEskew

MrsEskew Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2015
    Arkansas!!
    My Coop
    Here is my baby with one of ours we had.
    20170505_163327.jpg

alexa009 likes this.
  9. alexa009

So CUTE!!!:love

MrsEskew likes this.
  10. jnckids

jnckids Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2017
    North Shore, Illinois
    I pick him up for my kids because he is protective of the flock and I don't want him to jump at the kids. But after I pick him up its like holding a puppy or a cat. he will just lay there to be pet.

MrsEskew likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by