Are Silkies easy on gardens?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by j.luetkemeyer, May 18, 2010.

1. j.luetkemeyer

j.luetkemeyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2008
    Mid-Missouri
    I am looking at getting some silkies for my daughters to have as pets but am also looking for pest control in my yard. My garden is right in the middle of my yard so I don't let my layers out for pest control. How are Silkies around gardens? Do they tend to cause problems. I have heard guineas are excellent pest controllers and do not care to mess with gardens but am not sure if I want to get into those yet.

2. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    I can't speak for all, but my Silkies are fine in my garden. My garden is fenced, so I have to deliberately put them in there... they take care of the bugs, turn the soil and pull the weeds... (ok, I'm in there helping too)... but they do all the bug work and just love the new weeds.

3. j.luetkemeyer

Dec 11, 2008
    Mid-Missouri
    I will normally put a few young chicks, say 3 to 8 weeks old in my garden and they are fine at that age but I don't always have them at that age when needed for pest control. I'm getting some silkie eggs to hatch anyways but was trying to figure out where to put them. Thanks for your info.

4. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    hello fellow missourian [​IMG] we have silkies and they are fine in the garden. they will go for red tomatoes and other produce cause well its food. who are you getting eggs from ?

5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    They may be small, fuzzy, and goofy, but they are still chickens. Mine scratch and peck just like any other breed.

And are absolutely not to be trusted around ripe tomatoes!

6. j.luetkemeyer

Dec 11, 2008
    Mid-Missouri
    Thanks for the info. That's what I was wondering.

I am going to get some eggs from KentuckySilkies.

7. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    Just be careful and keep a very close eye on them if they are in the middle of your yard with no cover from hawks! I JUST LOVE our silkies!!! I think your plan sounds great!!!

8. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    A.T. Hagan :

They may be small, fuzzy, and goofy, but they are still chickens. Mine scratch and peck just like any other breed.

And are absolutely not to be trusted around ripe tomatoes!

And berries!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by