Are silkies fine in 15 degree weather?

Goose_the_cat

❤️Cats❤️Rats❤️
Aug 16, 2022
Georgia
My Coop
My Coop
Hi 👋 I just wanted to know if my 5 month old silkies are ok in 15 degree weather

My silkies are 5 months old in a coop with some top ventilation along with some cracks here and there. They currently have a heater mat made for dogs and they usually pile up on that at night. I have 2 bantam and 5 regular silkies. For more info please let me know and I will do the best I can.

Have a wonderful day ☺️

Hi 👋 I just wanted to know if my 5 month old silkies are ok in 15 degree weather

My silkies are 5 months old in a coop with some top ventilation along with some cracks here and there. They currently have a heater mat made for dogs and they usually pile up on that at night. I have 2 bantam and 5 regular silkies. For more info please let me know and I will do the best I can.

Have a wonderful day ☺️

Thanks for the tag!

I think they should be fine.
I have a bantam silkie in my main flock, and she does just fine in the cold.
It's been getting down in the teens here too.

As long as they're dry and out of the wind, they should be totally fine! I have Silkies, silkied Cochin bantams, and mixes of those two breeds with silkied feathering. Some of my Cochins are of similar age to your Silkies as well, about 6 months old. We hit -8°F this morning and are not supposed to peek above 0°F until tomorrow. No heat in my coops and no problems here at all! Everyone's staying in out of the wind, but otherwise acting normal.

Silkies are super cold hardy. Had one sleep outside on the roost in the polar vortex a few years back. He was a crazy rooster.

Back
Top Bottom