1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

are silkies harder to hatch than other eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cgarriga, Dec 18, 2010.

1. cgarriga

cgarriga New Egg

Jun 3, 2010
    Is there any advice anyone has on hatching silkies than may be a bit different than other eggs?

2. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    The only thing we do different is up the humidity for around 70% for Silkies, everything else is the same for us.

3. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    I had the best hatch ever after taking advice from a cd I bought on ebay. It said it is very good to open your incubator for about 10 minutes each day (usually during one of the hand-turning times). I did that and lost only one egg did not hatch this last time. Thats the best odds I ever had with silkies. So I am going to keep that advice in the back of my mind everytime. [​IMG]

4. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    JustAChickenLittle&More :

I had the best hatch ever after taking advice from a cd I bought on ebay. It said it is very good to open your incubator for about 10 minutes each day (usually during one of the hand-turning times). I did that and lost only one egg did not hatch this last time. Thats the best odds I ever had with silkies. So I am going to keep that advice in the back of my mind everytime. [​IMG]

I think that would depend on your incubator. I have a HUGE cabinet bator, and if I open it, it looses temp and humidity FAST! It recovers quickly for it's size, but too much of a chance for me to take.​

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Silkies are pretty easy to hatch, at least for me. On day 18 when I move them to another incubator to hatch, I keep the humidity around 70-75% for a forced air and 60-65% for the still air. I also hatch them out in cartons.

6. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    I dont do anything different than any other eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by