Are silky roos quieter than the larger breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by klf73, Jun 5, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    This may be a stupid question to some, but are the silkies quieter because of their smaller size? I so want to keep a silky roo but have elderly neighbors too close if they are obnoxious.
    Krista

2. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    The ones my sister has are about half as loud a my Delaware roos.

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    our silky roo is quite a little gentleman. He never crows before sunup at all. Our bedroom window is closest to the chicken run and it never wakes me up.

He never crows during the night, and only intermittently crows during the day - a couple of 'hey I'm still the big roo here' and then he's quiet.

We kept him with great trepidation that he would be really annoying, but he is MUCH less loud and constant than your typical yappy dog.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Depends on the rooster. Had one I heard maybe once a weeks. Had another one who never shut up and had an annoying shrill crow. Talk about inhaling a helium baloon.

5. piecemaker

piecemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    Quote:mine are like that I thouhgt one was never going to crow and one was never going to stop

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Malbri

Malbri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    Bowdoin
    My rooster doesnt start crowing till we wake him up.

8. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Mine is named Kazoo... and for good reason. [​IMG] I know I have two, but only one crows.

9. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

It probably depends on the silkie. Our old silkie roo, Mister Fluffypants ( [​IMG] ) crowed all day and all night, and it wasn't a very quiet crow either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by