Are skinny chicks normal?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Maren, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Maren

Maren New Egg

Mar 14, 2012
    So, last week I got my very first batch of chicks! It has been so fun learning about chickens! I had no idea there were so many breeds, colors, varieties, etc. I'm so excited to get many different breeds in the future when I have more space:) That being said, after doing some research I decided to get a few bantams. I dont have tons of room and figured smaller chickens would be a good starting point.:)

Things have been going great and I haven't lost a single chick yet, however, one of my chicks feels very sinny. As I mentioned they are a week old, we're vaccinated for mareks. The chick that is skinny is a gold laced Cochin bantam. Is this normal for the breed? The other two of the same breed don't feel as thin. It seems to act fine (bright, alert, happy) and I see it eat. I can feel its poor little spine and I felt under its wing and I think I'm feeling ribs. They are being fed purina mills start&grow and I medicate their water as well. I'm just worried that I'm going to go in to see them one day and it will have starved to death or something. It also seems to be not only skinny but quite a bit smaller than the rest of the chicks. (the other breeds are buff brahma bantam and blue Cochin bantam) please tell me if this is something I should be worried about! Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by