Are softwood shavings ok for the coop?

Jul 28, 2020
I am wondering if I can use softwood shavings in the coop, is it harmful or ok to use? Here are the shavings I have
Bitterroot Forest Products - Softwood Shavings - Murdoch's

I use soft wood shavings under my chicken perch and some in there nesting box, it works well I only have to clean it up once or twice a week depending on how much the decided to poo that week.

I use soft wood shavings under my chicken perch and some in there nesting box, it works well I only have to clean it up once or twice a week depending on how much the decided to poo that week.
Any dry organic material will work to absorb the moisture from the droppings. The main difference between different materials is how much moisture they absorb before needing to be changed and how prone they are to packing and matting. :)
Thank you guys for your help!

I am wondering if I can use softwood shavings in the coop, is it harmful or ok to use? Here are the shavings I have
Bitterroot Forest Products - Softwood Shavings - Murdoch's's

I use this brand. So far (4 weeks) and no Ill effects.

Much cheaper than the small store bedding options one usually finds. I know Murdoch’s (a small NW) chain Carries these in two different packages. Same stuff. Probably just old stock being moved.

In general softwoods are from coniferous trees, hardwoods from deciduous trees. It has nothing to do with how hard the wood is. Some softwoods are harder than some hardwoods. Typical softwoods are pine fir, and cedar.

Cedar shavings are considered not good for chickens. Cedar gives off fumes that can be harmful if they are concentrated. Since shavings have a to of surface area compared to lumber they give off more fumes and are more dangerous than lumber. I would have no issues using cedar boards for fences or even coops as long as ventilation is good. I would not use cedar for enclosed nest boxes or as wood shavings.

The simple answer. If those shavings are cedar do not use them. If they are not cedar they are OK to use.

Most often bags like that are pine shavings meant for animals. Cedar is bad just because of all the oils in it. From what I read on the website for this brand its 100% satisfaction guaranteed. I'd get it and rip it open to see. Visually and the aroma is very different for pine versus a cedar shavings.

Back
Top Bottom