1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are some breeds more susceptible to fleas and mites?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Goozelle, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Goozelle

Goozelle New Egg

May 21, 2008
    I have a Light Sussex which is always getting mites yet the others in the flock (Maran, Black Rock etc.) do not get them at all - are some breeds more susceptible to fleas and mites?

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I would say it is that some individuals are more susceptible, not some breeds.

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Plus, some chickens dust bathe more than others. That makes a big difference, too. Broodies and roosters don't always dust bathe as much as the rest of the flock and can have problems even when the other chickens don't.

Usually all my chickens dust bathe more during mite season, but in some flocks, I guess it could be possible you could have one that doesn't. Dust bathing is something that is instinctual and also a learned behavior. Some chickens have stronger instincts than others. I see my chickens get better at attending to their dust bathing needs as they mature.

4. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Mine dust bathe more when it's warmer than they do when it's cold.
    Can chickens get fleas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by