Are some breeds quieter than others?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nmm2112, Jan 31, 2013.

1. nmm2112

nmm2112 New Egg

Jan 31, 2013
    I'm going to be starting a very very small flock and want to get the quietest chickens I can find. Any tips? We are hoping to use them just for eggs. I don't want to annoy the neighbors. We are building an incubator and I'm hoping to buy some eggs to hatch. : )
    Any tips appreciated!
    ~Nicole
    : )

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    My Silkies are very quiet, even my rooster. They aren't the best egg layers though. They usually slow down when its cold or they're wanting to hatch their eggs :)
    Good luck.
    Nikki

3. Sassafras

Sassafras Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    N.H.
    My Wyandottes are really quite compared to the rest (EE's, Black stars's, and Golden Comets). They have this cute little croak.

4. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    silkie hens are the quietest one, so is my cochin , but my roosters crows only when I am out to see them !

5. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree they are quiet but they are not the "best" egg layers. I have heard good things about wyandottes but have no personal experience. My Brahmas I have are very vocal and not awesome layers but my Buff Orpington only does her egg song and that is about it.....and she lays an egg a day when the days are long enough. I would suggest Orpington.

6. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    My Silkie crows like crazy...and it is squeaky

7. Uriel

Uriel Out Of The Brooder

All my hens are pretty much silent except they talk to each other back and forth about food all day.. I'd say the quietest are my Sebrights, can't recall any of them ever making much of a noise at all. Silkies actually cause a ruckus imo, they love to chatter but they have the cutest voices, like a referee whistle.

8. zbraswell92

zbraswell92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    Roswell, Ga
    My 14 year old Phoenix hen was a crowing, clucking, and squawking machine!
    She crowed more than my rooster did!
    Now I only have ducks.
    (Ducks are a lot quieter when I'm living in a neighborhood right outside of Atlanta with neighbor houses 20' away! Ha ha.)

9. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    My Silver Phoenix hen was a crower too, and she had a set of spurs that put most roosters to shame :eek: I lost her to a hawk last summer, sure do miss that girl- she was a hoot!
    Nikki

10. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    My Sebright and two of my Silkie hens like to make noise. The sebright actually makes a noise that sounds like a baby crying. She does it daily when I'm late getting to the coop. I don't find it annoying but a non-chicken person may not. My quiet ones are- Old English, Belgian D'Anvers, Cochin, Ameraucanas, two mixed hens and standard Rhode Island reds.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by