Are some of my meat chickens sick? *pictures*

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by RoostersCrow HensDeliver!, Oct 7, 2013.

1. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Hi all, I hope I'm just overreacting here but I have a lethargic cornishx with a weird feather loss pattern and I'm worried about the rest of the birds with the same feather pattern. I've raised several batches of meaties before but I haven't seen this before. Most of them are fully feathered by now.

Here's my thread in the emergency/ disease section.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/829451/weird-feather-loss-in-meat-birds#post_12112292

I haven't gotten a lot of feedback. Do they look normal to you? Please help me out.

2. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    I'm just adding that I noticed the sick bird had a wheeze in his breathing. With so many issues, I decided it was best to kill him, hopefully before anything spreads to the rest of them.

I would still like everyone's opinion on if my birds look normal or not.

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I commented on your original thread.

I find they gasp and sneeze while eating, because they eat so fast.. but other than that, wheezing is not normal.

4. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    He had not eaten in a long time. It was wheezy/raspy almost like there was drainage in his lungs or throat. I'll re-post my reply from my other thread:

I decided to kill the sick bird, I noticed he had raspy breathing when I checked on him this morning. He was laying there shivering under the heat lamp ( I have them outside in a hoop coop). He never got up to eat or drink in the hours I spent in the coop last night or this morning. (I just buried him, not wanting to take a chance on eating him).

I am keeping an eye on the rest of them, but none of the rest are lethargic, they have good appetites and good skin color. He might have just caught a cold or something.

Thank you both, for your input, I do REALLY appreciate it. I am still new at meat birds and my mind just jumps to the worst possible scenario. I did notice that it IS the males that have less feathers than the females. I will try not to go into panic mode after the slightest problem. Thank you.

I really appreciate you sharing your experience with me Aoxa. I may have had chickens for a few years but I sure as heck don't know everything and love any opportunity to learn something new.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by