1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are specific Chicken breeds more susceptible to lice infestation?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JPHorvath, Jan 26, 2012.

1. JPHorvath

JPHorvath Chillin' With My Peeps

We have a relatively large flock of various chicken breeds Americana, BCM, BO, BR, RIR, Light Brahma, Polish and plenty of barnyard mix. It appears only a few have been subjected to lice some more than others and some have never had any. They all share the same coop and roost together. During the day they are all our free on the property only in during the evening. Is it possible specific Chicken breeds are more susceptible to lice infestation?

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I think it's possible. My silkies are the most prone to mites. The barred rock and cuckoo marans are the least prone to them. The polish are somewhere in between but not too bad.

3. JPHorvath

JPHorvath Chillin' With My Peeps

I just had one Black Copper Maran Rooster very badly infested with lice the only other birds I have found them on is a Light Brahma pullet and cockerel. When we had Silkies they never had any parasites. The Light Brahma pullet and cockerel nowhere near the amount on the BCM rooster.

Darn it! We have over 50 birds; guess I will have to treat them all as a precaution.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by