Are Speckled Sussex always speckled?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by StephFairbanks, Sep 16, 2016.

1. StephFairbanks

StephFairbanks Just Hatched

Aug 20, 2016
    Beaufort, SC
    This may sound really dumb but I am new to chickens. I ordered 4 different breeds from Meyer Hatchery. The are about 8 weeks old. I ordered 2 speckled Sussex. 1 is speckled and 1 is solid black so far. Will she get spots later or could she be a different breed?

Thanks y'all.

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD

Are your sure that one is the speckled Sussex? What other breeds did you get?

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I suppose it's possible but I've never seen one without at least a few white specks. I'm wondering if the hatchery didn't make an error?? Can you post a pic?

4. StephFairbanks

StephFairbanks Just Hatched

Aug 20, 2016
    Beaufort, SC
    I have 1 buff Orpington, 2 wellsummer, 2 faverolle, 2 Dominique and the 2 Sussex. The black 'Sussex' is actually my most favorite. She is so sweet and let's me carry her around. The adopted 1 is a RHode Island Red.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Speckled Sussex may take a while for the speckling to come in. That said, they are a mahogany red bird, not black. I can't see well enough in the avatar to tell what she is, but she's not a Sussex. A closer pic, including legs and comb might help us narrow things down.

6. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Did they look the same as chicks?

7. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Nope, a black chicken is not a Speckled Sussex. The speckled Sussex is basically( basically) a Red Sussex with the mottling gene added. It would never be black in any stage of its feathering. They need to send you another Speckled Sussex, they made a mistake. This chick would have been in black( with maybe some white) chick down. The Speckled Sussex would have been a brownish chick down with some other brownish/gold markings. No way to confuse one with the other. Glad you like your black bird tho!
    Best,
    Karen

1 person likes this.
  8. JennCrow10

JennCrow10 Just Hatched

Jun 6, 2016
    East Texas
    I also ordered two Speckled Sussex chicks from Meyer Hatchery and neither one have any speckling on them. Their hatch date was 9/7/16 so they are 13 weeks old now and are looking exactly like Welsummers. I have an older Welsummer hen and they are her mini me's. I will take some pics at lunch today and post here. I think I will also be contacting the hatchery to see what they have to say.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by