Are Speckled Sussexes slow growers?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tiny529, Jul 2, 2011.

1. tiny529

tiny529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Just looking at my chicks and my Speckled Sussex looks so much smaller than everyone else. Her wing feathers are shorter and she has no tail too. A friend of mine who has Speckled Sussex chicks says that hers have been maturing more slowly than her other chicks, but I wanted to see if anyone here has noticed the same of their chicks.

2. Cab the Mane

Cab the Mane Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Bizzarely, my speckled sussex chick is developing strikingly fast, and also seems to be the quickest learner.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I didn't notice that with my two speckled sussex, both hens.

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My SS developed quickly. I have a pullet. Usually no tail indicates roo. My SS was really small as a chick, so small that I thought she was a bantam. My SS is 15-16 weeks and grew quite nicely and caught up in size these last two weeks.

5. tiny529

tiny529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    I sure hope that she isn't a roo. [​IMG] I already lost my Brahma. I'd hate to lose my Sussex too.

6. speckledegg

speckledegg Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    W. WA
    I have 2 RIRs and 1 SS. So far, my SS has been feathering out MUCH slower than my RIRs. She (he?) also doesn't have a tail yet which has me slightly concerned. My RIRs started showing tail feathers when they were 1.5 weeks old. They're 3.5 weeks old so far.

7. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    My first 2 SS girls seemed to grow really slow they came from a breeder, but eventually caught up, these last 5 girls that I got are just 11 weeks old and almost as big as my older hens These 5 are hatchery. They have been out in the coop with the big girls for about 3 weeks and doing great, Of course when they see Maisy (EE) coming up to them they scream and run. but she is the Dominant Hen out there and she makes sure they know it. She doesn't hurt them really just little pecks here and there and a little chase once in a while. But they are very close to her size too. So if this question would have come up before my new babies came along I would say yes they are but now I would have to say they quick growers and smarter than the average chicken. LOL Sorry just had to say that because SS are my bird of choice never met one I didn't like![​IMG]

8. JulB

JulB Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    My SS roo was much slower than the pullet, the tail feather especially. You may have a roo.

9. themenagerie

themenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2011
    I have 6 week old SS's, BR's, BO's, GLW, EE's, Columbian Rock's and an Australorp....20 in all. Of them all, the SS's are the slowest, still don't have much in the way of tails. The BO's feathered out the fastest,

10. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Here is Maple at one week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is my Maple at three weeks old. She has a pretty good sized tail under her enormous wings.

[​IMG]

I've noticed some female chicks do feather much slower then others in every breed. My cochin pullet didnt start feathering until she was 5 weeks old.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by