Are standard cochins especially slow to feather out?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by steiggy, May 20, 2019.

1. steiggy

steiggy Songster

Sep 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I had my first batch of chicks arrive from Meyer on the 30th of April. I ended up losing my jubilee orp and my blue cochin, unfortunately...however Meyer made it right and while I wasn't able to secure another jubilee, I was able to get another standard blue cochin at the last moment the following hatch day (May 6th).

She arrived happy and healthy, and I am absolutely in love with her. I do worry, however, because she seems to be getting feathers a lot slower than my two marans and speckled sussex. She has about 3/4 of her wing feathers and some on her feet, but I haven't noticed any tail feathers quite yet. Is this normal? I've included a pic of her that was taken Saturday night. I'd love to see pics of your 2 week old standard cochins for comparison. I hope I'm just being a helicopter mom!

82524B39-4744-4E6C-BCBF-F5E0A12D5205.jpeg

3B7AB0E0-658A-4C71-B0D8-54108BEF4AE5.jpeg

DelaneyMGB25 likes this.
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Puppy Dreaming

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They can feather slower. Many times the males feather extremely slow.

steiggy and trumpeting_angel like this.
  3. trumpeting_angel

trumpeting_angel Crowing

Feb 6, 2019
    Vermont
    Precious! Enjoy that downy peeper while she is so soft!

steiggy likes this.
  4. Kirkland1610

Kirkland1610 Chirping

May 20, 2019
    Your baby looks just fine. I’ve had standard Cochins for years.

trumpeting_angel and steiggy like this.
  5. steiggy

steiggy Songster

Sep 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Thank you for the reassurance! She seems to have sprouted more feathers by the time I got home yesterday of course lol! I was worried she was a runt and I know they typically don't make it to adulthood. I've wanted a cochin for so many years, I'm paranoid over every little thing she does. She enjoys making a nest in paper towels on my lap each evening before she settles down to watch TV with us or actively peck at my phone if I'm playing with it. A sweet soul for sure.

trumpeting_angel likes this.
  6. steiggy

steiggy Songster

Sep 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Oh, I am! She spends her evenings curled up on my lap. She is a spoiled little girl!

trumpeting_angel likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: