are standard Wyandottes good eating

cat1994

Songster
9 Years
Sep 12, 2010
Southeast MO
I want to raise my own meat. I just wanted to know if wyandottes are any good. They are so pretty I really want to breed them and eat the culled ones.

That they grow slow is ok with me, they are so pretty the longer I get to see them the better
lol.png
I just wanted to know if the roos get a lot of meat on them

I have golden laced wyandottes , we eat all our extra roos , I try to butcher them at about 4 months .

Last edited:
I have three pullets ; I've not processed any , but already know there's more hat than cowboy with Wyandottes . They look bigger due to their taller " U " shaped body with big fluffy rear ends , but average 1 lb lighter than my same age Speckled Sussex .

Here's the thing about Wyandottes. . . Are they good for dual purpose? Are they good eating? Depends on the quality. Yes, I'm sure you've all heard the hatchery quality vs show quality gig, but take a look at this, and ask yourself - Which do you think looks more worth it?

Hatchery Quality Wyandotte hen

4400763794_fb22e73500_o.jpg

Show Quality Wyandotte hen (not my bird!)

silver-laced-wyandotte-matt-hanson.jpg

And no, it's not just the fluff . . . Show quality Wyandottes actually weigh more and have more meat on their bodies.

So, yes, Wyandottes make great dual purpose birds. . . If they're not from hatchery stock.
wink.png

Even the color is truly amazing. It's neat to see a breeder go into such detail with the color. Look at the white in both pic... the hatchery quality has a grey mixed in... the show is solid white.

Back
Top Bottom