are standard Wyandottes good eating

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by cat1994, Oct 30, 2010.

1. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    I want to raise my own meat. I just wanted to know if wyandottes are any good. They are so pretty I really want to breed them and eat the culled ones.

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    They grow slow, as for eating I haven't I traded my extras to the Amish for baked goods

3. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    That they grow slow is ok with me, they are so pretty the longer I get to see them the better [​IMG] I just wanted to know if the roos get a lot of meat on them

4. farmerbud

farmerbud Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2010
    I have golden laced wyandottes , we eat all our extra roos , I try to butcher them at about 4 months .

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  5. Ibicella

Ibicella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Everett, WA
    I wouldn't breed them specifically for meat, but yes, they are a good dual purpose bird and quite delicious.

6. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    I have three pullets ; I've not processed any , but already know there's more hat than cowboy with Wyandottes . They look bigger due to their taller " U " shaped body with big fluffy rear ends , but average 1 lb lighter than my same age Speckled Sussex .

7. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:Ditto. I have some and we eat the extra roos. Tasty! [​IMG]

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Here's the thing about Wyandottes. . . Are they good for dual purpose? Are they good eating? Depends on the quality. Yes, I'm sure you've all heard the hatchery quality vs show quality gig, but take a look at this, and ask yourself - Which do you think looks more worth it?

Hatchery Quality Wyandotte hen

[​IMG]

Show Quality Wyandotte hen (not my bird!)

[​IMG]

And no, it's not just the fluff . . . Show quality Wyandottes actually weigh more and have more meat on their bodies.

So, yes, Wyandottes make great dual purpose birds. . . If they're not from hatchery stock. [​IMG]

9. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Even the color is truly amazing. It's neat to see a breeder go into such detail with the color. Look at the white in both pic... the hatchery quality has a grey mixed in... the show is solid white.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by