Are swans legal in Tennessee?

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by chickenlover478, Jan 7, 2013.

1. chickenlover478

chickenlover478 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    Arrington,TN
    Are swans legal in Tennessee? Where can I purchas them? can you suggest a hatchery that sells swans?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    What species are you interested in?

3. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Most hatcheries do not sell swans. A Federal permit is required for Trumpeter, Tundra, & Whooper. The most commonly found species are the Mute & Black and both average several hundred dollars or more per pair. Some currently for sale: http://www.gbwf.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=8160

Keep in mind their very large size when trying to locate birds for shipping.

Dan

4. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    I should also have added that there are some regions of the US where the Mute Swan Cygnus olor is considered an invasive species, I don't believe TN is one of those states, but it wouldn't hurt to visit your depart of conservation or fish & game's website to search for information. If all else fails, their websites should have a phone number where you can get a copy of regulations.

Dan

5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    The black swan is considered an exotic and does not need a permit in most states. In Michigan you need a permit for mute swans, so check your state's Department of Natural Resources web site.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by