are the baby's coming update first one out 3:05 with pic

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jimmythechicken, Sep 17, 2010.

1. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    i just went to check on the temp for the incubator and i herd alot of chirping and a few holes in the eggs they are finaly here [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  2. friskebluegills

friskebluegills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    yeah!!! [​IMG] Congrats. Now that they're chirping and poking holes it won't take long for them to pop out [​IMG] and boy, can they run fast right away [​IMG]
    Hatching quail is a lot less stressful than chickens. Those take forever to come out of their shells. [​IMG]
    Congrats again [​IMG]

3. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    [​IMG] You ave the camera ready, right. The brooder can waite until morning. But, we want to see. Are you waiting up for them for a bit anyway?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I'll go make some popcorn.

4. jimmythechicken

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    me an my 2 girls are staying up tonight we had a broody chicken hatch eggs before but they hatch under the hen this will be our first bator hatch will post pics as we make head way we have a brooder all set with quail waterer an gamebird starter in it sprinkeled on the paper towels we also have a feeder in it.cant wait me or one of my kids will keep you updated all night thanks jim.

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    YAY! [​IMG]

6. Buttercup Chillin

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    OK, but don't be in a hurry to put them in the brooder. Don't be opening the bator unless you absolutely have to. Want to keep the humidity up to help them hatch. They can stay in there 24 hours after they hatch.

They don't come out at any rate until they dry off, don't want them to chill. They also need to stay in there until they get their footing, start walking good. They are so cute. They'll stumble around a bit, stop and just sink down and are asleep. Or lean on eggs and fall asleep. Their moving around and peeping in there helps the other eggs hatch, too.

Good luck. Make some pop corn. It's going to be a long night for the girls and a long day tomorrow. Hopefully they fall asleep on the couch or somewhere. I usually do and my cat wakes me up when she heards the chicks moving around. Then I go peek.

I hatch Coturnix not Bobwhites. First hatch is fun, actually each hatch is fun. Haven't gotten tired of it yet and I hatch from Feb thru Oct normally, no broodies.

Chickens, Quail, not much goes on between 11PM and 4AM, I have found in my hatches. Don't know why but about 4-4:30 things start poping and the cat wakes me up. I can pretty much count on it happening that way for the main hatch of whichever I am hatching.

7. jimmythechicken

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    thanks for the advise one kid already fell asleep next to the bator she loves her birds the other one i told her at 12 i want her to lay down a bit i work nights so staying up is easy for me but i may take a nap to be fresh tomorrow .there are a few cracks in them now but seem to be settling down a little now maybe your right i will set alarm for 4.lol

8. Koturnix_AW

Koturnix_AW Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2010
    Good for you sounds fun. I got 9 more days to go for my first coturnix batch. [​IMG]

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    You can't leave quail chicks in the bator quite as long as you can chickens or ducks though. I generally wait 12-24 hours. If they hatch overnight, I move any hatchlings to the brooder at night; if they hatch during the day they are moved the next morning. I just get a washcloth wet with HOT water to stick in there after opening it. Once in a while I'll have on that gets stuck, but not very often [​IMG]

10. Buttercup Chillin

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Shelley glad you showed up, he has Bobs and I have never hatched them.

Ya I take mine out at 12 hours for the Coturnix, the driest and I pick which ones are coming out before I open the bator.

But you know 1st hatch his girls are going to want to help them all out of the shells. Had to warn them not to be opening it. I usually waite until a humidity spike to open the bator and I have a sponge soaked in water ready to add in if need be.

Well sounds like things are settling for the night.

Well I'm going to clean my bator out Sunday and get ready to go again, Post Office shoud be calling me early Monday Morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by