Are the berries from the Burning Bush toxic to chickens?

Mexiontheloose

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 28, 2012
My Coop
My Coop
So we have a "burning bush" in our back yard, and it is boring and green most of the year, then the leaves turn bright red in the fall. After the leaves turn red, the bush produces these orange/reddish berries on it.

I have yet to let the chickens out to free range since the berries have formed because I can't find any information on whether or not they are toxic to chickens. Can anyone give me any information on this? I know the girls will totally start chowing down on these berries, so I want to make sure they won't hurt them.

Thanks!

I don't know about chickens, but the local birds love them. They have planted the hillside with plants now. The plants have become an invasive species. Yikes. I do love them in the fall though. Gloria Jean

I was going to say the same, the wild birds love them, so I doubt they would hurt the chickens, I haven't seen mine eating the berries but they probably have.

I doubt that chickens will eat anything bad for them, if they have choices. Considering that chickens have been around for a long time with no help from us, they should be fine.

Chris

Plants for a Future (pfaf.org) does say wild turkeys love this fruit.

https://pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Euonymus+atropurpureus
Euonymus alatus, known variously as winged spindle, winged euonymus, or burning bush, is a species of flowering plant in the family Celastraceae
is the common invasive burning bush that I think they were talking about.

there's a different type of burning bush replacement that also goes by the name. wahoo, which is one of the names listed in the link you provided

Back
Top Bottom