Are the chickens at the top of the pecking order better layers?

JuliaSunshine

Songster
Apr 3, 2022
West coast Canada
It's my first year keeping chickens and my nine 7 month old Light Sussex are now giving me 2-3 eggs a day (total 2-3 eggs from 9 chickens).
I understand they slow down as the day gets shorter but I noticed only a few chickens lay most of the eggs and the rest seem to not lay at all.

About a half of them lay every day or every second day and they're the top 4-5 chickens in the pecking order. The rooster usually hangs out with these.

The other 4 chickens are a bit hopeless.

One's scared and aggressive at the same time. The rooster sometimes chases her away.

Another one's comb and wattles are very small and pale as if she hasn't fully matured (but she must've laid in the summer as I got one egg from everyone).

The third one started laying late and has gotten sick recently. Still very skittish.

The fourth one has also small comb and wattles and looks shabby as her feathers are scarce in the head. I'm not sure if she's molting or others pecked her. The rooster started to chase her away too recently.

The most of these four started laying late and now they're probably not laying.
Is it because they're low in the pecking order?
I wonder if I should've sold them earlier or if they'll lay better once the spring comes.

They free range all day in a forest/pasture setting and the feed and water is always available.

Last edited:
Are you absolutely sure that your Light Sussex is laying more than one egg a day?
Normally no hen lays more than one, in fact its very rare, and usually means problems down the track.
I have not noticed any of my low in the pecking order hens laying less than others.

Are you absolutely sure that your Light Sussex is laying more than one egg a day?
Normally no hen lays more than one, in fact its very rare, and usually means problems down the track.
I have not noticed any of my low in the pecking order hens laying less than others.
She said she is getting 2-3 eggs a day from her 9 chickens.

I added in more explanation. Thank you for telling me about your chickens!

I don't think place in pecking order affects egg laying. My top hen is older and is a pretty lousy layer and has been for years. My best layer is firmly middle of the pack in age and ranking.

The cockerel could be affecting things by chasing some of the girls around.
I'm starting to suspect that too after thinking about what I wrote. Today I saw him chasing away the chicken that got recently sick. That means he's chasing away 3 chickens. They probably wouldn't feel encouraged to lay eggs when they get chased away from the flock by the cockerel.
I've been wanting to hatch chicks and I like his personality. He stands guard for the chickens even though when something really threatening happens he runs away deep into the forest all by himself and doesn't come back until it's absolutely safe lol.
But I'm contemplating on removing him more and more often now. Sad.

I don't think place in pecking order affects egg laying. My top hen is older and is a pretty lousy layer and has been for years. My best layer is firmly middle of the pack in age and ranking.

The cockerel could be affecting things by chasing some of the girls around.
Actually I just put him in a separate coop and run I just finished building. I'll see if separating him from the flock will give me more eggs and happier chickens. But there's a chance I might give up on this experiment if he crows incessantly starting from tomorrow, which he tends to do until he's let out in the morning.
Keeping chickens is so much more demanding in many ways than I thought it would. I hope I get used to this soon before I want to just give up.

Keeping chickens is so much more demanding in many ways than I thought it would. I hope I get used to this soon before I want to just give up.
Roosters/cockerels can complicate things, so especially for first time chicken keepers it may be better to not have one at all.

Since you have a separate set up to house him in for now it's a good idea to try that and see how it works out.

Roosters/cockerels can complicate things, so especially for first time chicken keepers it may be better to not have one at all.

Since you have a separate set up to house him in for now it's a good idea to try that and see how it works out.

It's been okay until I had one chicken sick and another died recently. I didn't know I would be that sad over it.
The one that was sick still doesn't look that lively. I hope it's just me over-worrying.
Thank you for your advice.

Back
Top Bottom