Are the eggs good or bad?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jade_softtail, Sep 11, 2010.

1. jade_softtail

jade_softtail Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2009
    Waverly, Ohio
    One of our bantams has laid a few eggs in a nest that I just found the other day, I don't know how long the eggs have been there but she just started sitting on them today. Now my question is will the eggs hatch because they weren't sat on before today? Our little bantam roosters have been working overtime so the eggs should be fertile. [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    If they're fertile, they'll probably hatch. Think about it....mama has a clutch of eggs, which she lays, one each day, but they all hatch at once. Soooo, she lays 8 eggs or so, and she really doesn't start setting until the last one is layed so they will all hatch at once. Otherwise, she'd sit there for 8 days, and the chicks would be all different ages......

Hope that helps. [​IMG]

3. The eggs should be good. It is a sure bet if you have an active rooster that the eggs will be fertile. Fertile eggs are good for hatching and EATING. Your hen will lay a nest of eggs before she begins to brood them. Eggs will be fine for up to three weeks before they need to be brooded or incubated.

4. jade_softtail

jade_softtail Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2009
    Waverly, Ohio
    Thanks for the info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by