Are the eggs safe to eat if my chickens ate styrofoam?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jljchester, Dec 29, 2010.

1. jljchester

jljchester New Egg

Dec 29, 2010
    My chickens ate a styrofoam tray from the groccery store, and I understand that they will be okay, but will the eggs be tainted with anything like styrene or benzene? I understand that styrene can make it into breast milk if ingested. How long before it is out of the chickens' systems?
    Thanks! [​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Mine always seem to find styrofoam. I wouldn't worry. That's only what you saw them eat. What about all the stuff they eat when you aren't watching. Or for that matter any animal you eat, or do you really know what is buried under your garden that your vegetables roots are getting into?
    I don't think we can protect ourselves from everything as much as we would like to try. Unless you grow everything on a mountaintop never before touched by man in Costa Rica or somewhere.

3. dkosh

dkosh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    I don't think there is anything to worry about. But if you are I would maybe just discard the next couple of eggs if you are concerned. I would think that the small amount it probably ate will be out of it's system within a day or so.

4. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

maybe the eggs will come out already in a carton :p

5. dkosh

dkosh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    [​IMG]

6. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Quote:[​IMG]

My EE JUST age styrofoam earlier today, and I was wondering the same thing! Dumb birds....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by