Are the eggs safe?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jak2002003, Oct 17, 2012.

1. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Why can't we eat the eggs for a time after de worming chickens?

Will it really harm us?

What about using the eggs to hatch - will the developing chicks be harmed?

Thanks.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    There is usually a 2 week withdrawal period, during which the dewormer is going through the hen's system and some of this dewormer ends up in the eggs as well.
    I've been researching the effect of incubating eggs laid during this period and learned that chicks incubated were either severely handicapped or/and died shortly after hatching. A friend of money took all the eggs from my hens after I dewormed them, telling me he'll use it for pig food. I learned later that he incubated them, but unfortunately he flat out refused to tell me the result... It would've been educational to know.

3. jak2002003

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Would the de wormer in the eggs harm humans?

Maybe it would be OK and we could also get de wormed too![​IMG]

Obviously pregnant people should not eat them if it caused defects in growing chicks.

If the stuff is so dangerous to cause deformed chicks, is there an alternative?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Wait 2 weeks before collecting eggs for hatching.
    I've eaten some of the eggs my hens laid after I dewormed them with no bad effects, BUT I'm not allergic to any medicines and don't have any medical condition that would make this risky for me personally. If you have medicine allergies or if you are pregnant as you said, or have any medical problems I'd say rather play it safe and discard the eggs.

5. jak2002003

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Oh, I never though of allergies to the medication! Now I understand.

I was thinking if the stuff was not safe in the eggs for us to eat, then it must be pretty bad for the chickens too. Maybe it will be in the chicken meat when we eat them also.

I think I don't like to use chemicals and medications when I don't have to.

I stopped de worming my chickens about 2 years ago as I got concerned about the side effects.
    All my chickens are still very healthy, fat and laying lots of eggs. I do keep them clean, but they do also free range.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by