Are the eggs still good if I forgot to get them yesterday?

oliviad51

Songster
10 Years
Jul 23, 2009
North Carolina
Usually Im pretty good at remembering to get eggs but yesterday I forgot. Its been in the low or mid 90s. I wasn't sure since they have been sitting in the heat since yesterday morning if they were still good.

Float them. If it floats, it's bad. If it sinks, it's good. If it hovers, you decide.
wink.png

The eggs are totally fine. they can sit out for thirty days without being refrigerated but they cant be washed off because that takes a protective coating off. The reason why you have to refridgerate eggs from the store is because they wash the protective coating off.
smile.png

I don't no if it right or not but I have ti ask. After 30 days in 90 degree weather outside. Wouldn't they be hatching???

Quote:
I've only been raising eggs for a few months but I talked to the exchange agent in town at the beginning. She raised chickens. She told me about not washing off the protective film. She reminded me about the lack of refrigeration many years back and the use of egg baskets hanging in the kitchens. They didn't raise only enough chickens for thier breakfast each morning. They also took them to town to sell and/or trade with no refrigeration.

They'll only hatch in that time frame if they're fertilized. Mine aren't. Our male is too young and were getting him a new home as soon as possible.

Quote:
I think that dis go meant that you can keep them in your home unrefrigerated for 30 days. While, i don't think they would hatch (since the temperature is not constant enough or hot enough), i also would not leave them in the sun for 30 days of hot summer temps and expect good eating eggs.

My very first laying hen laid her eggs in a hidden nest for about a week before i found them, and the temps were in the 90s at the time. I float tested and ate every one of them. They were great!

Here after one day there would be development of my fertile eggs.

That or they'd be partially cooked when it hits 115!

Believe it or not, I had a broody hatch eggs in that kind of heat... 115 daytime, 91 nighttime for over a week.

Back
Top Bottom