Are the girls like women?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nancyjane, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Nancyjane

Nancyjane Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2008
    This may sound odd, but I was wondering if chickens' egg laying cycles change to match their roomies' cycles. Much like women who room or work together often have their cycles slowly change to be similar to their work/room mates?(sorry if this is TMI for you guys! LOL)
    I was down to 1 hen who stopped laying in November. When I introduced 2 laying rescue hens, she suddenly started laying on a daily basis! Not once a week, then twice a week etc, but 1 per day just a couple of weeks after I introduced the new ones.
    BTW, the rescues have found the nest and I haven't found an egg outside in a week!

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Not mine. My girls lay at different times of day, and on different days of the week.

I've always wondered if that whole "cycle alignment" thing was a myth. [​IMG] I didn't experience anything like it in college when I lived in a women's dorm.

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    All mine have laid within 3 hrs of each other in the middle of the day. I don't know if they sync up like women. I had that happen when I lived at home still with my mother and then everytime my SIL ends up living here because they lost another apartment. LOL I hate being thrown off. [​IMG]

4. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    Two of my chickens always go up to lay together - sometimes they both lay at the same time, other times one will lay whilst the other sits with her, then they will come down only to return when the other hen wants to lay. Meanwhile my LS hen at the bottom of the pecking order watches mournfully and usually ends up laying on her own [​IMG]

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I've heard of the close-living-women theory, and it's proved true with my co-worker and I. We get along really well, even with PMS at the same time.

But I also heard a cyclical trigger is from a guy's sweat (ahem, perspiration). Do roosters sweat?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by